Monday, November 05, 2007

Five Tips For Using MySpace

I remember the days when AOL was pretty much the only community in town. In fact, I remember when they billed you by usage time versus a flat monthly fee.

Today, there are many networking communities available. My favorite is MySpace. I have met more people and gained more business from MySpace than from any other networking community.

I'd like to share five tips on using MySpace:

If you are there to network, then make it easy for folks to network with you. Often I find folks who say I need their last name or email address to friend request them. Since they are currently a stranger, I don't have that information. Their profile tells me they want to meet others but their profile settings make that near impossible. Choose settings that allow others to communicate with you and friend request you.

Share information. Posting ads is not sharing information. I've actually deleted those who only advertise. I want to know YOU. I want to know who you are. Networking is about knowing one another and hopefully helping each other. If all you do is advertise, I am not going to send business your way. I do not want to send those I know to folks who only pitch products and services.

Join a few groups. MySpace has thousands and thousands of groups. Do a search and find a few groups that revolve around your interests. For example, I joined a scrapbooking group. I also joined a group talking about a t.v. show I enjoy. Finally, I joined a Starbucks group as I love Starbucks. Find groups that are YOU and join a few. You'll meet others that you already share something in common with.

Use the email and comment functions. Talk to others but more importantly when folks talk to you, answer them. I still communicate with folks I met the first day I began networking on MySpace. Just as I answer personal email in a timely manner, I also try to answer MySpace mail and comments in a timely manner.

Remember your words and photos will be seen by many. I sometimes shudder when I see someone who claims to want to gain business swearing up a storm and posting very non G rated photos. This is going to turn off potential business contacts. The bulletin feature is wonderful, but when the topic is a string of profanity I never even open it. When I was working on AOL, we had a rule of "if you wouldn't say it to your grandmother, don't say it here". I really believe this applies in a networking community also.