Friday, February 01, 2008

What Is The Truth About Making Money In Network Marketing? (Part 1 of 3)

If you've never been involved in Network Marketing before you're probably are asking yourself this question right now. You've probably heard of the "fabricated stories" of people losing everything they own in a Network Marketing business. Or worse, someone spent the time and money to build up a huge monthly income to only have the company they represent go out of business. So, you're probably skeptical about the Network Marketing industry in general and want more information before you decide to step out and join an opportunity.

If you're currently in a Network Marketing business (or you were once before) and you're not making a profit, you're probably saying "When will I ever make money in Network Marketing?" Or, if you've been jumping from program to program looking for the "winner" you need this article.

Early on in my Network Marketing career I asked myself these same questions. And believe me, so did my wife! So, let me answer the question for you: "Yes, you can make money in Network Marketing!"

There isn't a week that goes by that I don't get a phone call from a new prospect that asks me "What Is The Truth About Making Money In Network Marketing?" I get asked this question all the time. Especially from the frustrated network marketer who just spent their last dime on a mailing or an advertisement that went very bad. My goal is that after reading this article, you will have an better answer to this question. My hope is that your answer is "YES, I really can make money in Network Marketing?"

I know you can make money in Network Marketing because I am living proof. I now make more money in a month than I used to in a year. For the first time in my life, I don't have to worry about paying my bills. In fact, I've paid off all of my bills! Now, when I buy something, I use the universal payment method-CASH! It's nice. I feel blessed. But, I also have to do a weekly maintenance to not only help direct my organizations, but also to continually bring in new people.

Now am I sitting back and getting wealthy in Network Marketing? Quite frankly, YES.. I spend every morning playing with my daughter and work with my business associates in the afternoon. Late afternoon I stroll into the office and return phone calls and stay in touch with my growing downline and new prospects. Most evenings are spent communicating with my International parts of my organizations, usually via a conference call or webinar.

So, how did I get from corporate-weenie to where I am today? I used the simple techniques and principles I will outline in my e-book "How the Responsible Network Marketer can Go to Market" due out summer 2008. Now I didn't just do them once and walk-away.

My secret was consistency. I never quit. Once I found out what worked I simply looked for someone in my downline who wanted success as bad as I did and would "listen" and follow my advice.

That sounds simple, but in the first 2 years of my Network Marketing experience I couldn't find anybody who was willing to work as hard as I was. That was quite depressing at first. I was afraid I was just working myself into another "job". But, in reality, I was laying the foundation of what would be a lifetime residual income. Was it worth all the hard work and frustration? You bet. Would I do it all over again? You bet. A quote made famous by billionaire J. Paul Getty, which I firmly believe describes my definition of Network Marketing success:

"I'd rather have 1% of 100 people's efforts than 100% of mine own!"

One thing I truly believe is if you're not happy with what you're currently doing, you must change and do something you've never done before. That usually means changing not only your work habits, but also your attitude. You might be thinking, "I just want to know what technique to use so I can get rich-so stop talking about attitude and philosophy and get on with the nuts and bolts of making money".

What you must realize is that you must attract wealth by being professional and knowing what you are doing. You must also create value for your prospects or they will come and go like a revolving door. People look to join a Network Marketing opportunity to make money.

If you can't help them do that in a relatively short period of time they will quit. It's that simple. But, if you can create some kind of positive relationship or an atmosphere of real value, then they'll stick with you through the months where they spend more than they make. If you get only one message from this article I would hope that it would be this one:

"Everybody joins a Network Marketing opportunity to make money. But, they stay in because you've created a valuable relationship and you've helped them to become financially successful"

Most Network Marketers I speak with today are looking for a Network Marketing opportunity where someone does all the work and all they do is fold their arms, sit on their butt and wait to become wealthy. It doesn't work that way, so get over it!

Sure, you can make a few hundred bucks a month using this "strategy", but you're not creating any kind of relationship between you and your downline.

Network Marketing was created with people in mind. When you take people out of the equation, you loose. If simply mailing out catalogs, post-cards and brochures were all it took to make money, why would the company need you? Think about it? If that was the case, technology today would make you obsolete before you woke up in the morning.

They could do the distributions themselves and save on all the commissions they pay out to their distributors-couldn't they? This is where I see the breakdown has occurred over the last 15 years in this industry-it's become too commercialized and impersonal. Network Marketing started out face to face-or what is now known as "warm marketing".

Going to university or college, getting your degree(s) and working for either a "big" corporation or the government hasn't set many people financially free as previously promised by our parents. Many of our friends have found the climb up the corporate latter is full of trap doors and heartache.

And, for those who dare to dream big and start their own traditional business, they've experienced more heartache and hard work than they had anticipated. Neither our parents nor college can prepare someone for all that is necessary to start and maintain their own business.